School History Saint Michael’s BNS is the oldest school in Longford, its roots stretching over 150 years. Situated in St. Mel’s Road, it has a long and proud tradition in the education of boys from this parish and the town of Longford since 1853. In these pages you will come to know the pupils in their creative work, in their sporting activities and their study of our local environment. This site celebrates all pupils, past and present. We salute all those who have made and continue to make St. Michael’s B.N.S. what it is today, while we try to record some of it for history. A Short History of Our School St. Michael’s Boys’ National School, situated at St. Mel’s Road, Longford, was opened as a National School in 1853. Rebuilt in 1967, it was given a further four-classroom extension in 1975. It now comprises eleven classrooms, a G.P. room, a staff-room and a Principal’s Office. An article entitled “Everymans Schools” in Templemichael Parish, the author Liam Mac Gleannáin, himself a former Principal of the school, states: “on the 6th January, 1860, a school for girls was opened on the ground floor of St. Michael’s school and was called St. Michael’s No. 2. The nuns taught the girls here until their own school was built. After this the junior boys were taught in No 2. Mr. Plunkett was principal of St. Michael’s No. 2 in 1879 but was transferred to the senior school, St. Michael’s No. 1, in 1881. Mr. Harry Dunne was principal from 1881 to 1918 and was an outstanding musician. He was succeeded by Mr. M.P. Fallon who retired in 1953 when Mr. M. J. Timlin transferred as principal from the senior school and remained until the amalgamation of the schools in 1967. In the senior school, Mr. Plunkett became principal in 1881. He was succeeded by Mr. Thomas McKenna in 1899 who retired in 1926. Mr. Charles Matthews was principal from 1927 and Mr. M. J. Timlin from 1941 to 1954. Since the school was opened in 1967 there have been the following principals, Mr. B. Regan, Mr. W. Glennon, Mr. S. Cahill, Mr. P. Walsh and the present principal Ms. N. Horan.